Message from the Director
It’s often said that crises, like the current world pandemic, can be moments of truth. In our case, we are grateful for the deeper essential truth this emergency revealed: your continued support and sharing in our vision of the Center’s vast potential. We so appreciate the friends and supporters of the Center, through all challenges, and send our very best wishes to you all!
-Vejas G. Liulevicius, Director, CSWS
Henry A. Fribourg, US Army Chemical Corps, 1954-56, Fort Detrick, Maryland; participated in classified research on what was later known as Agent Orange; born in Paris, France, family escaped German-occupied France, 1942; lived in Cuba until 1945, then immigrated to the United States. Joined UT-Knoxville in 1956; over the next 45 years became a world-renowned crop ecologist. A frequent speaker in East Tennessee on the Holocaust. Professor Fribourg’s interview will be available soon on our website.
Samuel A. Shipman, Lt. Colonel, U.S. Army, Retired; Active duty and reserves, 1966-1994, combat engineering; Germany, Vietnam, Panama Canal (Operation Just Cause), Gulf War I (Desert Shield/Desert Storm); Bronze Star recipient; UT-Knoxville alum; TVA Engineering, 26 years. He shared his story with us in 2000 and remained a loyal supporter and friend of CSWS for which we are very grateful. Colonel Shipman’s interview transcript can be found on our website at csws.utk.edu/oral-history-project/read-an-interview/vietnam.
Friends of CSWS 2020-21
- Susan M. Blair
- Charles F. Bryan, Jr.
- Fay Bailey Carr—Hop Bailey Endowment
- Matthew A. Fisher
- Joan Johnson (Mrs. Charles W. Johnson)
Friends of Charles W. Johnson
- Susan M. Blair
- Mary Ann Haubenreich
- Ed Shore & Janie Fields—In honor of Shelley Stafford Massey & in memory of her father Tom Stafford III, Lt. Colonel, USMC (Ret.)
30th “Old Hickory” Division
- Steve Ash
- Fay Bailey Carr—In honor of J. Mack Bailey & in memory of Hop Bailey, Jr.
- Norma Cox Cook—In memory of Edward Lee Powell, Sr.
- Allison L. Lester—In memory of Lt. Colonel Samuel Arthur Shipman
- Bruce Wheeler
- Jeffrey S. Baldwin
- Mari & Chris Brooks—In honor of Nate Martin at West High School
- John M. Burkhart & Laura Powers
- Stephen G. Fritz
- Edwin T. Hardison
- Brooke H. & Isabel Bonnyman Stanley—In memory of Mr. Gordon Bonnyman, U.S. Army combat veteran of WWII.
- William Lee Dowdy, III
- Susanne E. Eddowes—In memory of Elmer R. Umbenhauer, U.S. Army, WWII
- Amy E. & David Clugg—on behalf of John Clugg
- Jan F. Duncan
- Jeff Fletcher
- Roman G. Golash
- William J. Kelch
- Sherri Lee
- Parker Lee
- Fletcher Lee
- Jerome Melson
- George C. Shields, II
- Don Williams
- Susie & J. Paul Watkins—In honor of Zachary Brooks